Wednesday, July 1, 2009

final post

My favorite short story that we read this semester came down to either The Veldt, Good Country People or Everything that Rises Must Converge. The Veldt won in my mind, only because the plot is actually a unique subject area that not many writers venture into and successfully complete. I have never been a huge fan of science fiction and creating worlds as if from the future, which is why this story particularly surprised me. It's modern and technologically advanced, but not in a boring, geeky way. The ending is truly the icing on the cake, and I almost chose this story as my film adaptation proposal piece because it would make such a great movie, especially considering what Hollywood can do to a script. Each time I read it, I could imagine all the awards some designer would win for set design and visual effects. As I've said before, descriptions are a big ticket item for me in terms of what makes me appreciate a story or not, and the Veldt fulfilled this area.

There were a few stories I simply didn't care for, didn't connect with but very few that I just simply flat out couldn't stand. Paul's Case wins the award for least likeable. The author successfully depressed me while reading this story which might be one of the reasons I didn't care for it. It didn't keep my attention and the story kind of dragged on a little. Although The Yellow Wallpaper went on quite longer than I would have enjoyed, it still was interesting. I felt that Paul's Case was just unnecessary and that in modern days he would have found an outlet and there would not be any societal conflicts with him discovering himself. Also, his suicide seemed a little unexpected to me and really, no one, especially not Americans enjoy a story that ends in suicide/unhappily.

No comments: